Friday, February 16, 2007

Life in the new Shop


After years of working in my basement shop, this winter in the new barn has been a joy. One of the greatest advantages of greenwoodworking and chairmaking is the minimal tooling and space required. This was great when I was starting out but after a while, the makeshift surroundings started to wear thin. So last fall I cut the joinery (with help from my friends and a fantastic chain mortiser) and had an old fashioned barnraising. You can check out the raising at My barnraising page. The new shop has plenty of space and light and has been no trouble to keep warm with the woodstove. Something feels perfect when I clean the shop of scraps and heat it at the same time. My heartfelt thanks goes out to the countless folks who worked so hard to help make my new shop a reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pete,
Your blog is beautifully laid out and informative. Great photos, too!
I have shop envy.
I'm looking forward to more tips to bring my woodworking up to a higher level. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

....shop envy....yep, green and ugly it is....

Great blog Pete!

Patrick