Sunday, October 23, 2011

Field Trip, Part1

After moving, I finally have internet and phone access again, so it's time to catch up on all the goings on here. Seth and I recently traveled to Irion Lumber out in Pennsylvania to get some wood. I needed some air dried walnut for some chairs and Seth was in the market for the wide butternut that Lou Irion had in stock. We were not disappointed. Here is Seth inspecting one of the 20" plus board that Lou had set aside for chair seats. Look at these monsters!


The field trips that I've been on recently have been helpful in calming all the chaos that goes with moving again. Irion is a paradise for the wood lover. Lou comes from a furniture making background and not only knows what we are looking for, but is helpful in meeting our specific needs. It didn't hurt that he knew that we were 8 hours from home.

Below is Seth in the air drying shed. There are many buildings on the property that hold the dried stuff, and when the doors slid, my jaw nearly hit the ground.


Usually, I am not a typical "woody" swooning over figure and exotic colors and widths, but this place is simply amazing.

Thanks Lou, for letting us look through the stacks and hanging out in the rain!
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fun.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Pete! I love butternut!!! It's good to know Irion has a good supply of it. There doesn't seem to be much of it here in Western North Carolina.
Bill Palmer(furniture maker turned chair maker)
www.williampalmerdesigns.com

Peter Galbert said...

Irion is worth the travel, that's for sure. Or, he'll ship more than 150 bdft. Seth bought him out of wide butternut, but he does have 10-12" in stock!

Robert said...

Hello Pete - While I was in Lanacaster last Sept, actually visitng the Irion Furniture Company I also made a visit to Irion. Very neat operation. I am also glad to hear that your move is going ok. Talk to you later.

Robert
Stow Oh