Thursday, February 16, 2012

Murray Kidman

I was fortunate to have my friends Carl and Glen in Australia introduce me to Murray Kidman. He is a rare breed of Aussie who goes out into the bush with a chainsaw and a boatload of skill and comes back with some beautiful woods. He specializes in tone woods for guitar makers. Watching him work is pure pleasure. I've never seen a chainsaw handled so expertly.
 Here is a snake having a particularly tough day. He was in the log and managed to get cut into thirds. We never did find the head!


Check out this video of Murray at work.


I watched him rip a board less than 3/8" off the side of the log like it was cut on a resaw bandsaw.
Here is the final product at the Maton Guitar showroom in Victoria.


























For another video of brilliant Aussie bushmen, check out this one that Robin Wood posted.

4 comments:

mckenzie said...

Murray makes it look pretty easy, i feel like i'd have lost all my personal limbs milling up that tree. Learning how to use a chainsaw is on my list.

Tico Vogt said...

Any particular tooth profile/filing angles that he goes by?
Never uses a guide? Wow.

Peter Galbert said...

Tico,
It's a skip tooth, full chisel blade with the teeth filed nearlynstraight across!

Unknown said...

Timber framing was my first passion so I loved the video and the link to the old school timber framers.

Next time I am in Aussieland I might have to check out that guitar shop.

Nice to see you posting away Pete!